The Superdry label is quickly becoming a very popular brand name in the U.S., with their classically casual and fashionably unique apparel. Based on a hybrid of laid-back, American retro combined with pseudo Japanese distinctive styling, the Superdry image is slaying the competition in the fashion industry and setting new trends along the way. Due to their enormous support in London, their reach has transcended beyond any limits thought possible by CEO Julian Dunkerton who initiated the label in conjunction with one of his own. Though their steady but rapid rise to supremacy is largely due to its U.K. roots, it was an American soccer player that has put them on the fast track to global stardom and they’ve played no games ever since.
History at a Glance
In late 2003, the Superdry concept, which served as a segue between Dunkerton’s first, earlier success, Cult Clothing, came into existence during a late night drinking binge with friend and colleague James Holder shortly after Dunkerton returned to London from Tokyo. He was freshly inspired by the rich culture of the orient and admired their strong attention to detail along with their distinct characteristic writing technique so much that he wanted to incorporate it right into his fashion practice. With assistance from Holder and his affluent corporation, their stores began to populate small university providences in England where they prospered almost immediately.
The Superdry brand along with 77Breed and Surf Co California comprise the major brand labels that serve as components to the SuperGroup, formed in 1985 with the founding of Cult Clothing by Julian Dunkerton. The SuperGroup has been ably backed by the success of the Superdry label which leads all brands in total retail though they conduct no formal advertising campaign. Dunkerton expressed his marketing strategies for the label very early on, unofficially commenting that retail pricing would be set at bare minimum thresholds in order to obtain profit for all clothing apparel as opposed to his competitors that drove-up prices to maximize gain. He wanted to present a high quality product at earnest, affordable prices to the public.
In the Media
The biggest moment yet for Superdry and those on their band wagon hit when world famous soccer player and pop icon David Beckham appeared wearing the immensely popular bestselling, “Osaka-6” designer T-shirt in his 2005 calendar. This intrigued Dunkerton enough to give Beckham the “Brad” leather jacket of which he was photographed wearing coming out of Mr. Chows in Beverly Hills one cool, crisp November evening. When the picture was featured in People magazine later that year, sales for the jacket sky rocketed.
The label wasted no time thereafter making the big screen’s “A” list as celebrities alike from Kate Moss to Jude law turned out in full support sporting an array of Superdry clothes and footwear. But as critics will have it, the celebrity make-over is nothing more than just window dressing to the real genius and actual draw to the meat of the label’s phenomenon, generated from the designer-in-chief himself, James Holder. Known to jokingly boast over scribbling his designs for the first few Osaka T-shirts on the back of bar beer-mats, Holder’s ethic in his designs enable him to transform everyday apparel and accessories like jeans, jackets, glasses, etc., into virtual, vintage classics.
The Superdry Backpack and Superdry Bags
As Superdry marches on into different avenues of fashion with regard to accessories such as sunglasses and jewelry, their line of sight has recently shifted to a unique variety of unisex bags and backpacks for travel and outdoor sport. Superdry has manufactured a functional balance of bags for an eclectic series of activities to suit anyone on the go. Here is a brief listing of some of the Superdry backpacks and bags:
• The Superdry rucksack collection combines the features of the rugged outdoorsmen type with the artsy flair of a high school student in terms of style and attitude, offering several types of traditional outdoor hiking packs with all the charm and genuine character to that of an experienced world traveler.
• The Superdry laptop bag and laptop pouch offers fashionable and safe alternatives for carrying your hardware to school or the office by several versatile and functional means. While one is completely weather proof, the other is made from beautiful full grain leather for a sharp, sleek appearance that is sure to make your colleagues jealous.
• The Gymnasium bag embodies all the traits and characteristics of the name and looks just as it sounds. Made from a polyester blend, it’s totally sweat proof and easy to maintain, while large enough to carry all your new muscles home from your last workout.
• The Motorbike Messenger bag is another reason I love these bags so much. Their names depict a replica of their function as this bag is right up the biker type’s alley with a single adjustable strap, leather belt buckle fasteners, and four large external pockets.
• The Weekender bag will send you out the door faster than you can say “vacation get away” with its fine leather trim and leather handle not to mention adjustable detachable strap. You can pack for the weekend and then some with its large internal compartment and three external compartments.
The Superdry backpack is making a real impact on the market as these bags are gaining in popularity every day. They craft a much larger line with the same genuine variety, and they are all worth a look as one is sure to fit your daily mold or routine. Don’t overlook these bags, as they are light weight and crafted from fine materials. The only caveat is that some of these bags can be a little pricey which is unusual for them. Nevertheless, if quality makes your list for consideration, then they have a backpack or bag for you. As Superdry continues to dominate their industry, you can rest assured that their product line is here to stay.